Learn To Be
Learn To Be is a 501c3 non-profit that brings 1-on-1, online tutoring to underserved youth around the nation.
- Ruby on Rails
- Stripe (for payment/donation collection)
- Paperform (for data collection to measure impact)
- Postgres Database (to store all of our data)
- Pusher (for real-time communication)
- Zapier (to help with automation)
- Twilio (for text messaging)
- Mandrill/Mailchimp (for email)
What We Did
We built this web application from the ground up. It was built using Ruby on Rails and supported by a Postgres database on the backend with a standard HTML/CSS/ERB templating frontend. The application supports a number of features: allowing students to apply and be accepted into the program; allowing tutors to match with students (and their families) and schedule their tutoring; and allowing for the collection impact metrics to measure the success of tutoring sessions as well as the growth of students.
- Learn To Be has been serving students since 2008
- 300 hours of tutoring done every month
- 18,000+ hours of tutoring provided to date
- 38,000+ tutoring sessions hosted to date
We're working to utilize more creative ways to communciate with our family (eg, via text messaging or via app) to better help students. And we're working to improve our online classroom to make it more seamless for tutors and students.